Nkoni Health CentreHealth Centre III, Bukoto South Constituency in Lwengo District.
About the Health Unit
Nkoni Health Centre III is owned by Masaka Diocese under Masaka Diocesan Medical Services. It is found at Nkoni hill near Nkoni Catholic Church. It is in Nkoni village in Kkingo Sub County, Bukoto South Constituency in Lwengo District. It was established in 1991 to commemorate the cerebration of 50 years of Nkoni Catholic Parish.
It was started with the aim of;
- Providing affordable health services to the people of Nkoni Catholic Parish and Kkingo Sub County.
- Saving community members from travelling of long distances to access health services. i.e. Masaka Regional Referral Hospital and Kitovu Hospital.
- Providing a better and comprehensive package of preventive, curative, promotive and rehabilitative services to the entire population.
By the time it was started, the Health Unit covered 18 Sub Parishes, but now it has 11 Sub Parishes of Nkoni Parish. Today it serves an estimated population of 21,000 people across the different faiths in its catchment areas.
Health Unit Operations
Nkoni Health Centre III is a PNFP organization which aims at provision of adequate health services for all people under the mission of Christ.
In the provision of its services, the Unit is committed to a holistic approach of giving a comprehensive package of curative, preventive, promotive and rehabilitative health care services to its target community.
The Unit is open to treating all its clients with courtesy, respect and sensitivity at all times. It treats every patient as an individual and partner, irrespective of their ethnic origin, political affiliation, religious background and cultural beliefs, gender, social class, disability or age. So, it does not discriminate, except that the preferential option for the poor is pursued.
The Management and staff of the Health Unit are dedicated to providing an effective, high quality and caring service at all times. This is done under the supervision of the Diocesan Health Coordinator in co-operation with others players in health care provision including Government. This coordination is helpful in the provision of person-centered care.
Nkoni Health Centre III provides services within the scope of the Uganda National Minimum Health Care package (UNMHCP) including: (i) Health Promotion, Disease Prevention and Community Health Initiatives which aim at increasing health awareness and promoting community participation in health care delivery and utilization of health services. (ii) Maternal and Child Health services; (iii) Prevention and Control of Communicable Diseases—i.e. HIV/AIDS, malaria, TB, Diarrhoeal Diseases; and (iv) Prevention and Control of NCDs.
Specifically, the Unit offers the following services;
- Daily medicament of outpatients and inpatients
- Antenatal and delivery services
- Immunization services i.e. static at the unit every Friday and every day, and outreaches on every Wednesday
- HIV testing services, counseling and treatment
- Laboratory services including tests for malaria, typhoid, Brucella, Urinalysis, Blood sugar, Syphilis, HIV/AIDS, HB, HCG, Grouping and cross matching, stool analysis among others
- Health education talks to the community
- Visits to Schools in the vicinity