Dr. Irene Christine NakachwaBoard Chairperson
Areas of expertise
- Provide Technical and administrative leadership for the nutrition, maternal and child health as well as HIV-AIDS care and treatment programs currently implemented across the 42 districts of support
- Clinical management of patients/clients
- Generating periodic progress summary reports on municipal Health activities
- Analyzing and reviewing reports such as
- Health Management Information System (HMIS)
- Epidemic surveillance
- Health facility activity and financial reports
- Coordination of health activities as well as stakeholders to ensure smooth running of services
- Appraising performance of staff members
Dr. Irene Nakachwa is a public health specialist with over fifteen years’ experience in health programs management both with local government, international NGOs and lately UN. She is a medical doctor & holder of a Master of Public Health from Royal Tropical Institute, Amsterdam Netherlands.
Her abilities include developing strategic guidance and overseeing implementation of health programs including PMTCT, HIV prevention, care & treatment, Nutrition, WASH and reproductive and maternal child health, employee recruitment, building high performance teams etc. She was the person behind the scale up of PMTCT in Masaka district and the successful roll out of the various HIV policy changes including, PMTCT Option B Plus, Early retention and birth cohort monitoring, HIV test and treat, Differentiated services delivery etc. in South West Uganda.
Currently, she is a Heath specialist for Child survival and development UNICEF-Uganda, where she provides leadership and management for the Western & central zonal office health & nutrition team whose major focus is nutrition, maternal and child health, HIV-AIDS care and treatment. Prior to this, she was the Associate Director of Health at World Vision Uganda, where she led and managed the country’s health technical program with a similar focus; In the past she worked with: EGPAF as a Senior Technical Advisor for PMTCT and Care & Treatment; Masaka Municipal Council as the Principal Medical Officer Health; Masaka district local Government as the PMTCT coordinator and Senior Medical Officer in-charge of Bukoto Central HSD. She is a Christian lady with high integrity and very ethical in conduct. She has a special passion for children and generally believes equity in health service provision is fundamental for development change.